|#||Course Name||Credit Hrs||Prerequisite|
|FIN 620||Mergers and Acquisitions||3||None|
This course is an advanced level finance that introduces students to the world of mergers and acquisitions. The world of corporate mergers and acquisitions is dynamic and competitive. The big deals make the headlines of the world’s newspapers on a regular basis and change the landscape of global industry. But all too often, after the dust settles, value is lost, not created, in these transactions. Emphasis is placed on actual M&A deals through business cases in order to learn from other’s mistakes and assess the reasons for the successes. The student should gain an appreciation for the complexities M&A deals and how to employ industry best practices to improve the odds for success. Main topics include M&A activity, M&A strategy and restructuring, valuing in an M&A setting and methods for corporate valuation, identifying and valuing synergy, risk management and social issues, momentum and acquisition strategies, corporate culture and ethics, negotiating M&A deals, hostile takeovers, deal design and win-win merger.
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of merger acquisitions.
- Describe to M&A deals, strategies and due diligence.
- Identify and value synergies.
- Explain alternative methods of valuing corporations in an M&A setting.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Merger and Acquisitions: an overview.
- Legal framework.
- Merger strategy.
- Hostile take-over.
- Take-over tactics.
- Levered buyouts.
- Private equity market.
- Corporate restructure.
- Restructuring in bankruptcy.
- Corporate governance.
- Valuing target a firm & due diligence.
- Techniques of corporate valuation.
- Identifying and valuing synergies.
- Joint ventures and strategic alliance.
- Valuation for M&A.
- Tax issues in M&A.
PatrickaGaughan (2018), Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Restructuring, 7th Edition: Wiley & sons.
DonalDM. DePaMPhilis (2018), Mergers, Acquisitions, and Other Restructuring Activities, 9th Edition: Academic PressHarvard university cases studies on M&A
Harvard business review
Articles on M&A.