|#||Course Name||Credit Hrs||Prerequisite|
|BUS 631||Strategic Management||3||None|
This course enables students to understand how competitive advantage can be developed across businesses through strategically synchronizing various functional areas, processes and systems in an organization, in coordination with internal and external environments and the challenges they throw. The course is designed to help students understand the overall strategic management process right from setting up of the vision, scanning environment, formulating strategies and then the implementation part.
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Define strategic management process and its role in creating sustainable competitive advantage.
- Write a logical, relevant, and well-organized report on a business issue.
- Compare and contrast different theoretical models of strategic management before applying it to any business problems.
- Analyze various disruptive business models and their implications for the various industries.
- Recognize theoretical models and how they apply in a national context.
- Construct a timeline of significant events which affect strategy implementation.
- Vision, Mission, Objectives and Choices, Competitive Advantage
- Evaluating the External Environment
- Porters Diamond Model and its Application in the Context of Saudi Arabia
- Porters Five Forces Model: Article Discussion on the Five Competitive Forces that Shape Strategy
- The Resource-based View of the Firm, VRIO Framework
- Imitation and Competitive Dynamics
- Business Level Strategies: Cost Leadership and Product Differentiation
- Corporate Level Strategies: Vertical Integration and Competitive Advantage, Diversification and Competitive Advantage
- Strategic Alliances, Mergers, International Strategy
- Strategy Implementation and Challenges
- Restructuring and Turnaround Management
- Strategy Implementation: Balance Scorecard
- Targeting the Bottom of the Pyramid and Blue Ocean Strategy
Thompson, A., Peteraf, M., Gamble, J., Strickland III, A. J., & Jain, A. K. (2013). Crafting & executing strategy 19/e: The quest for competitive advantage: Concepts and cases. McGraw-Hill Education Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
Barney, J. and Hesterley, W. S (2008). Strategic Management and Competitive Advantage. 3rd Edition. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.