|#||Course Name||Credit Hrs||Prerequisite|
|FIN 644||Entrepreneurial Finance||3||None|
Entrepreneurial Finance is designed primarily for students who plan to be involved with a start-up venture at some point in their career as a founder, early joiner, investor, board member, or advisor. However, the course is also very relevant for students interested in gaining a broader view of the financing landscape for start-up companies, going far beyond the basics of venture capital and angel financing. Throughout the course, we emphasize the financial opportunities and decisions of entrepreneurs and private equity investors investing in these entrepreneurs. The program is broadly structured in four parts. First, we cover the basic ideas, tools and techniques which, once mastered, will greatly facilitate work throughout the remaining modules and group project. We then go on to consider the start-up, then the on-going company in operation and finally possible exit routes.
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the entrepreneurial process and identify financing through the venture life cycle.
- Analyze and Access SME financial performance in Saudi Arabia.
- Discuss the process of establishing short- and long-term financial planning for SMEs.
- Compare and contrast the different financing techniques appropriate for SMEs and measure their respective costs.
- Discuss valuation of early-stage ventures.
- Discuss the ways that a successful entrepreneur can harvest or exit a venture.
- Examine, gather and analyze the required data to design and implement their own ventures.
- Discuss the main elements of an effective presentation on their ventures’ proposals.
- Course Introduction
- Measuring Financial Performance
- Evaluating Financial Performance
- Financial Planning: Short-Term and Long-Term
- Types and Costs of Financial Capital
- Valuing Early-Stage Ventures
- Venture Capital Valuation Methods
- Harvesting the Business Venture Investment
- Financially Troubled Ventures: Turnaround Opportunities?
Leach, C. and Melicher, R. (2017). Entrepreneurial Finance. 6th Edition. South Western, Cengage learning.
Rogers, Steven. 2014. Entrepreneurial Finance: Finance and Business Strategies for the Serious Entrepreneur. 3rd Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill Education