المصرفية التجارية والاستثمارية
|#||Course Name||Credit Hrs||Prerequisite|
|FIN 645||Commercial and investment banking||3||None|
The course examines the key risks of financial institutions (market, credit, liquidity, pre-payment risks) and the importance of Asset-Liability management. Students will be exposed to key trends and changes that take place in the banking sector, and current problems confronting managers in banking, and become familiar with the various career opportunities in the industry. They will also learn about the special role of financial institutions in the market, and how it relates to the regulatory framework under which commercial and investment banks operate.
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the basic problems of bank management.
- Access the effects of the techniques and the functions of commercial banks and thrift banking institutions.
- Discuss the evolution of banking and the organizational structure of banks.
- Analyze bank regulations and policies.
- Evaluate bank profitability and risk management.
- Discuss the types of financial crimes, such as money laundering, that can affect a financial institution.
- Examine the international bank environment, deposits, liquidity and capital.
- Introduction to commercial banks
- The impact of government policy and regulation on the financial services industry
- Structure of banking and the financial services industry
- Establishing new banks, branches, ATMs, telephone services, and web sites
- The financial statements of banks and their principal competitors
- Measuring and evaluating the performance of banks and their principal competitors
- Risk management for changing interest rates: asset-liability management and duration techniques
- The investment function in financial-services management
- Managing non-deposit liabilities
- Money Creation
- Investment banking, insurance, and other sources of fee income
- The management of capital
- Lending policies and procedures
- Business loans and consumer loans
- Liquidity and reserves management
Rose, P.S. and Hudgins, S.C. (2012), Bank Management and Financial Services, McGraw-Hill Irwin, New York, NY.